Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hodgepodge Pie




So I decided to join Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond for her weekly Hodgepodge.  It has been awhile since I joined up so I might be a bit rusty but here goes:

1. What do you do at the first sign of a cold? Will you get a flu shot this year?
I start making deals with God that go something like this "Please don't let me get sick right now, if you save me from getting sick I promise I'll never eat cheesecake, I'll always floss my teeth, and I'll use Purell after each class."

Yeah...then I start popping the Vitimin C like nobody's business.

Yes I do get a flu shot, but I am pretty lucky with getting sick.  I think since I've been a teacher for so long my immune system is top notch, even though I don't have a spleen and I am SUPPOSED to get everything that comes my way.

Maybe God is keeping up his end of the deal after all.

2. What advice can you give about how to conquer fear?
They say that being brave means being fearful but doing it anyway (or something like that).  I tell my students that when they are fearful they just need to take a deep breath and go for it.

3. Share two good things about your life right now.
Having physical custody of Rich's daughter.  It is a dream come true and an answer to a lot of prayers.  The second thing would be being back into routine and back at school WITH students!!

4. A hot fall fashion trend in 2011 is a return to sixties style...tunics with pants, shift dresses, pencil skirts, cinched waists, bold prints, high necklines and short lengths to name a few. How does this fashion trend fit with your wardrobe and personal sense of style?

I like the more classy styles of the 60's, like pencil skirts with cardigans and flats and shift dresses.  Not a big fan of high necklines or cinched waists.

5. Were you involved in scouting as a kid? How about as an adult?
I was a Bluebird (which was the younger Campfire Girl) when I was in third grade.  All I remember about that was we used to go around saying "bluebirds eat brownies" (the younger Girl Scouts)  I am pretty sure that wasn't the message that scouting was trying to promote.

6. Apple, pear, plum, pumpkin...your favorite fall flavor?
Yes.  Mostly apple and pumpkin though.
7. What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher?
Compassion and having the ability to teach their students more than just their subject matter.  They also need to be a little bit silly and not take themselves too seriously.  Yeah I got those last two down pat.
8. In summary: I am a take a deep breath and dive right in sort of gal with compassion and a love of teaching.  Even though I am missing a part of my immune system I hardly ever get sick (knock on wood).  I would have looked very unstylish in the 60's mostly because pencil skirts don't look very good on women who love the fall flavors of apple and pumpkin because usually that involves pie.


More Later

- A Ro

6 comments:

  1. Ha-I loved that last line in your wrap up! So true : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I get sick quite a bit because I have a low immune system from Celiac disease. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a spleen! I hope that YOU are keeping up your end of the deal with God. Ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never gave it a thought, but the first thing I do when getting sick is also bargain with God. I think you're probably a very good teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your summary!!!! I'm in absolute agreement with you ~ especially the rationale to avoid '60s fashion ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always take vitamin C for several days before I fly and so far so good. #3 Awesome! Good one for number #6 YES.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hodgepodges always make me smile! Congrats on having Rich's daughter with you!

    ReplyDelete