Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tasty Tuesday

I know, not a very clever title, but it is the best I can do.

I wanted to start posting some of my favorite "good for you" recipes.  So here's the first one hopefully not the last one.

we'll see.

I made a really good soup last night and I thought I would share with you.  It is a soup that everyone in my family loves, so that right there makes it good for you!!  The better part is that it is indeed good for you in the sense of healthy eating.  It is a Cooking Light recipe that I have adapted for the folks at my dinner table (no celery, real milk instead of evaporated, and a little thicker), but you can find the entire recipe here.


Here are my Cast of Characters:
2 t. olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped carrots
1 garlic clove minced
1/3 c. flour
1/2 t. thyme
6 c. chicken broth
4 c. baking potato
1 t. salt
2 c. leftover roasted chicken
1/2 c. half and half
1/2 c. 2% milk
2 c. uncooked pasta

Rich threw extra chicken on the grill a couple weeks ago and I froze it until I needed it for this recipe.  I also used whole wheat rotini, but the original recipe calls for egg noodles.  I like a heartier noodle.  

1.  Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.  Add onion, carrots and garlic.  Saute 5 minutes.

2.  Sprinkle seasonings and flour over vegetables and cook 1 minute.

3.  Stir in broth, potato, and salt.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partial covered for 25 minutes.

4.  Add roasted chicken, milk, and noodles.  Cook 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.



I made this bread this weekend and served it with some fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and bruschetta.

Soup nutritional value as per the recipe on the Cooking Light website:
Serving size 1 c
Calories 215 Calories from fat: 19% Fat: 4.6 g Sat Fat: .9g Mono: 1.6g Poly: .8g Protein: 14.9g Carbs: 28.6g Fiber: 2.6g Chol: 37mg Iron: 2.4mg Sodium: 355mg Calcium: 101mg

Tasty meal, and good for you...in more ways than one.

More Later

- A Ro

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: