Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Throw Back Thursday

You probably think that I have been immensely engrossed with the Olympics since I have been gone for few days from my blog.

You would be wrong.

You see I had to work the night of the opening ceremonies and when I miss the start of something I usually can't get quite all the way on board.  Like missing the audition days of American Idol and trying to watch the Hollywood week.

I usually miss the first parts of TV shows because I don't watch much T.V.  I just don't have time to sit around on my couch and get itchy eye from looking at Bob Costas. 

I am sad that I haven't gotten into it.

Anyway.

Throw back Thursday.

I have been going through pictures and uploading them to Shutterfly and decided that I would pick a very early picture just for fun.  These two pictures really caught my eye tonight.
 This is a picture of my Grandma and my nephew Tyler in 2004.

And a picture of my Grandma and my nephew Joseph in 2006.
 
I love these picture for so many reasons.  Here are a few:
  • My Grandma had to move into this very small apartment when my Granpy died, but some traditions stuck.  She put up a tree, albeit a small one, and she had all of her singing Christmas decorations, and her table cloth brings back a lot of memories for me.  She also always baked our favorite treats like fudge, sugar cookies, divinity, and coffee cake.
  • I love the smile on her face as she holds Tyler and Joseph.  That smile is very familiar to me.  She loved her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
  • Tyler is very intent on something that is on the table, probably one of her singing Christmas toys.  This is the way my nephew is to this day.  Always very intent on something.
  • For a very new baby Joseph is looking squarely at her and looks very comfortable.
  • My Grandma knew we were coming over to see her so she put on a nicer outfit, and makeup.  Probably used it as an excuse to dress up as she was living a very lonely life without her beloved husband and her only son...my dad.
  • Which brings me to the picture of my dad on the lamp shade.  She kept it there because she liked to talk to him. 
I also am thinking about some of the things you can't see. 
  • Her piles of coupons that she religiously clipped each week.
  • A very large picture of my Granpy...she missed him very much too.
  • The rest of us sitting around enjoying our time together.
  • An enormous picture collage on the wall behind her.  Maybe that is where I get my love of pictures.
  • And a poster size picture of my senior picture behind her.  Don't ask.
I love the fact that my kids knew my Grandma.  She was one of my most favorite people in the whole wide world.

I love the fact that Tyler and Joseph got to know her and even though they don't remember her I know that deep inside there is a small part of them that can still feel the warmth of her loving lap.


More Later

- A Ro

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Thanks for sharing your grandma :)

    I'm posting this again because I don't see my comment - but if there are two you can delete this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving American Idol this year and the opening ceremony for the Olympics was amazing.

    Those are very sweet memories of your grandmother....
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete