Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Into Flavor - Halloween Cake Pops


I know this isn't the sort of "recipe" that Lid over at 2nd Cup is looking for for her Fall Into Flavor meme, but this is definitely comfort food, not low in calories, and is a BIG part of our Fall baking schedule.
I found these cake pop ideas over at Bakerella's site. I have done many in the past, but since Halloween is one of my favorite holidays these are the ones I love the most.

A cute munchable pumpkin...

...scary but oh so delicious ghost...
...and a cute candy corn pop

Here are the cast of characters:

box of cake mix

tub of frosting

Wilson's candy melts

Crisco

candy food coloring

lollipop sticks

edible writing pens

First you bake the cake according to directions. After it cools you chop it up and put it into a large bowl. Then fold in about 3/4 of the tub of frosting.
You can use any flavors...I use chocolate 'cause I can't eat it...did I mention these are SO good...did I mention I need to lose 15 pounds...I ain't no dumb guy.You mix it all up...and using your hands is the quickest way...I know you have to be willing to get a little messy...You then shape them into the desired shape...round for the pumpkins...triangular for the candy corn, and whatever crazy shape you want for the ghosts. You then melt a few bits of the chocolate and then dip a stick into the chocolate and stick the stick into the cake pop. You then put them into the fridge or freezer so that they harden a little...about 10 minutes or so.In the mean time you melt your chocolate. You pour an entire bag of Wilson's Candy Melts into a microwave safe container. I use a tall glass cup so that when I dip I don't have to tilt the cup. You microwave them for 30 seconds on 30% power...stir...and keep going until they are completely melted. I found that putting a heaping tablespoon of Crisco into the chocolate about half way through the melting process helps make the chocolate nice and smooth for dipping. Be careful not to get any water into the chocolate OR to cook too long as the chocolate might seize.
You can buy colored Wilson Candy Melts. You can also color white Candy Melts...which is what I had to do since the store I went to didn't have orange. You have to buy special food coloring made for coloring chocolate.
You then dip the cake pops into the melted chocolate.
I added a broken pretzel stick and a little candy coated green chocolate bit while the chocolate was still wet. Then stick them into a Styrofoam block to dry.
Then taking an edible marker you color on the face.

There you have it...a cute chocolate edible pumpkin cake pop.

Dip the ghosts into white...let dry...

...draw a face...and you have a spooky snack.To make the candy corn guys you start with dipping the entire pop in yellow...letting dry......then dip into orange and let dry...

then white...

...draw your face and there you have it...a yummy chocolate candy corn cake pop.
My daughter and I then put them into little lollipop bags, tie them with a Halloween ribbon and give them to teachers for a little Halloween treat. GS takes some to work, and of course eats a few himself. Bella has her share for eating too...
They are so much fun and something my daughter and I love to do together.
Go on over to 2nd cup and check out some more Fall Into Flavor recipes!!!
More Later
-A Ro

8 comments:

  1. That is just the cutest thing ever! And they really look like what you say they are, which is tricky sometimes. I'm glad you shared this.

    Have you received your apron yet? I mailed it last week. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so cute!! I had no idea there was such a thing as an edible marker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this is hilarous - I'm making cake balls tonight. I got the recipe from Kelly Stamps (http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2009/09/show-us-your-life-desserts.html). It's pretty much the same thing except not decorated - which is good because I am so NOT a decorator type person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!!!

    I can just see an arrangement of these decorating a holiday table.

    Isn't Fall Into Flavor to much fun?

    Blessings and have a good week!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making these RIGHT THIS SECOND.

    *SQUEAL*

    ReplyDelete