1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss.
To be honest I felt for that poor, albeit conceited, Gingerbread Man...I mean he was only trying to be spared being eaten. Although, he could have been a little less "in your face" with the taunting of "Run run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man"...
To answer the question, love the Gingerbread Man, don't like gingerbread
2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family?
It wasn't always important, but now that I realize how important it is to me I am stuck 1500 miles away.
3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed?
Duh...Santa!! Just think how better the world would be if everyone tried to avoid the naughty list.
4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life?
I'd have to stick to my good old favorite Christmas Vacation. C'mon who doesn't feel so much better about their life and holiday plans after they watch the Griswolds bumble through Christmas. Every year I am thankful that I a) don't have a squirrel in my Christmas tree b) don't have to eat a jello mold filled with cat food c) and haven't decided to kidnap my boss...see life is good!!
5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of?
Mostly I love the traditional, old-fashioned songs. However my most favorite song is Mannheim Steamrollers Stille Nacht
6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmastime?
I will admit that I really don't do enough. We donate to Toys for Tots and contribute to the Bell Ringers...
Lid must realize that guilt is my motivating factor...OK...I'll go out and find more to do.
7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?"
I don't mind Happy Holidays, but really don't like Xmas. I have a whole rant about how silly it is to make Hanukkah as important as Christmas, but that is for another day...but probably not...
8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month?
Well I am a music teacher so I have both of my programs, Middle School and Upper School. My daughter's program was last Saturday, and my son's youth orchestra's program was last Sunday. Wow that is a lot of holiday cheer...you'd think that I'd be more "in the spirit"...Obviously, it isn't because of lack of holiday music...
9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality?
We are headed to the Midwest so the chances are good...which makes me very happy...I think.
10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice.
This was an easy one. My mom always tells the story of me being little probably about 3 and wanting a Barbie Country Camper. When I got it I started yelling "A Bawbee Contwee Campwer"...needless to say I have not lost any of my enthusiasm...except for Hobbit books...
11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month?
I will be attending two...the cookie exchange from yesterday's post and my friend's parents Christmas Eve party. The Christmas Eve after my divorce I was going to be alone for the first time. My friend's family took me in and invited me to their party and my family has been on the guest list ever since. I guess we have been behaving ourselves...I am forever grateful for their kindness.
12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas?
I have so much to be thankful for and really don't get stressed about this season so it is really easy for me to stay focused on why we do what we do.
In summary: Its obvious that this California-Iowa-wanna-be girl really needs to get a winter coat, and possibly some snow boots. She also needs to be a little more philanthropic, and is thankful for the dictionary sitting next to her. She wishes that getting a Bawbee Contwee Campwer still floated her boat. She really misses her mom and all of Iowa. But is oh so very thankful that her holiday plans do not include the in-laws in an RV parked outside my house...thanks Clark Griswold for keeping my holidays in perspective.