Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Successful Hodgepodge



How I love the hodgepodge!!  You see I am a music teacher and pretend to be a blogger.  Most of the time I have so much to say but not quite sure how to say it that would be all that...enjoyable. 

Maybe I really need to lower my standards of enjoyable.

Anyway...Joyce does all the work for me on Tuesdays, which is why I love the hodgepodge.

Well if you have the same problem as me just answer the questions on your blog and link up over at Joyce's.

Here is my go at it:

1. Do you like your name? Were you named after someone? If you have children how did you settle on their names?
I used to not like my name because it was too short.  When Rich and I first got in touch with each other I used to sign my emails with just the letter A...when we started dating he told me how much he liked my name back in high school...I started signing all my e-mails Amy from then on.

I was not named after anyone, however, I was born in Ames Iowa so many people assume that Amy came from that.  I, for one, think that is a stretch.  My son Andrew has my maiden name as a first name.  His middle name, John, is in honor of my Granpy.  It also happens to be his Dad's name, but my first born son was always going to have the middle name of John ever since I was old enough to realize that one day I might have a son.  Isabella was a great compromise on an Italian name, her middle name, Christina, is a version of my middle name Christine.

aren't you glad you asked??

2. How do you define success?
I am going to quote Ralph Waldo Emerson...because I love, and try to live by, this definition of success.


To laugh often and much;

To earn the respect of intelligent people
and to win the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate the beauty in nature and all that surrounds us;

To seek out and nurture the best in others;

To give the gift of yourself to others
without the slightest thought of return,
for it is in giving that we receive;

To have accomplished a task,
whether it be saving a lost soul,
healing a sick child,
writing a book,
or risking your life for a friend;

To have celebrated and laughed with great joy and enthusiasm
and sung with exaltation;

To have hope even in times of despair,
for as long as you have hope, you have life;

To love and be loved;

To be understood and to understand;

This is the meaning of success


That is better than anything I could have come up with.

3. Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy?
I enjoy watching Jeopardy just to see if I can answer ANY of the questions, but I also like watching Wheel of Fortune.  Now to be a contestant on one or the other is another story. I really don't feel like I am a very lucky person (I am very blessed just not too lucky)...so Wheel of Fortune would be out, and I simply do not trust myself, in a highly tense situation, to remember to form my answers into questions...guess it is Game Show Network for me.


4. If you could own any single object that you don't have now, what would that object be?

This is a very hard one...I think I would love to have a bicycle.  I know I sound like a 5 year old on Santa's lap, but I have always wanted one, but never have been able to justify buying one.

5. What is something that inspires you?

I know this is going to sound very cheesy, but my students, children and Rich inspire me everyday.  Having the privilege to be their teacher, mother and wife causes me to pause everyday.  They make me want to work harder and be a better person.

would you like some wine with that cheese??

6. Meatloaf-yea or nay? If its a yay how do you make yours?
I HATE meatloaf.  I have never liked it. My DVD of my new Cuisine Art food processor had a demo of meatloaf so I am thinking that maybe that I have outgrown my childish dislike for meatloaf, but as I watched,  I am telling you nothing looked appealing.  Smushy meat mixed with ketchup and then baked into a loaf...gross.

7. Which is more admirable-the ability to organize and be methodical or the ability to adapt and make do?
I am uber organized with regards to my house and my job everything must have a place and it must be in that place more than it isn't.  I have many lists, file folders, bins and I keep things very organized.  Having said that I believe that I am a very adapt and make do kind of girl too.  But let me tell you if I have to adapt and make do, making a list is the first thing on that adapt-and-make-do agenda.

8.  In Summary:  Every time Rich says my name I melt just a little.  I am slowly working on being a successful person and can safely say that I am well on my way and have crossed a few of those things off my organized and methodical list, thanks to the people in my life who inspire me.  I would love to own a bicycle but if I have to be on Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy to get one...I am sunk.  However, I'd trade you a bike for some meatloaf...

More Later

- A Ro

3 comments:

  1. I love to see you use the name Granpy.
    We use to call my Grandfather `Gran`
    Such endearing names.
    He has been gone a long time, but I love to think of him.

    I have been thinking I would like a bicycle.
    I weighed much less when I did have one.
    I quit riding it and wonder if I could ride one with this weight I put on.
    Oh well, another day another story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your answers. I want a bike also and I'm 59! Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-making a list before you adapt and make do. That's kinda how I roll too : ) I love the Emerson quote!

    ReplyDelete