Tuesday, January 10, 2012
The Limited Edition Hodgepodge
Joining Joyce this Wednesday for the Hodgepodge which means two things. You get to know me a little better and my blog post on my traumatic morning with the Beijing Acrobats will have to wait until tomorrow. Click on the link above and head on over to participate too...its OK your normal post can wait another day.
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English in 2012-amazing, baby bump, shared sacrifice, occupy, blowback, man cave, the new normal, pet parent, win the future, trickeration, ginormous, and thank you in advance. Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Go here to read more about how the words are chosen.
OK I have to admit that I haven't heard of most of those phrases. Is that a good thing?? I really hate thank you in advance as it is very presumptuous. I love ginormous as it is an Elf reference. But win the future and pet parent??? What the heck do those mean? Must poll my high schoolers immediately...OK after finals, but very soon.
2. Are you easily embarrassed?
This is a hard question. I am more embarrassed when other people make a fool of themselves more so than when I do. I hate watching people be pranked like Punked or Candid Camera. I hate being around someone who is being an idiot and doing foolish things. Me on the other hand, I am known for saying silly things and tripping over my own feet, so I am used to that.
3. What is your go-to snack?
I love dried fruit and nuts. I also love whole edamame. I got Rich some whole walnuts and a nutcracker for Christmas so I have been into those lately. I usually snack healthy, but would love to be able to grab a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, but they don't agree with my hips.
4. Have you ever been to Washington D.C.? If not do you have any desire to go? What site/attraction would you most want to see in that city? If you have been, what's your favorite site/attraction?
Timely question as I just paid the final deposit to send my son to the Model UN conference in Washington DC this February. He was invited to attend to represent our school, and he is really excited, as a matter of fact this is the most excitedt I think he has been over anything. I, on the other hand, will keep wishing to see the sights. The Second Night at the Museum movie makes me want to see all of the Smithsonian museums, and the Lincoln Memorial. The Dan Brown book Lost Symbols makes me want to see the Capital Rotunda and Washington Monument. Maybe I'll just stow away...nah he'd kill me.
5. sit ups-planks-lunges-squats...which do you hate the least?
hmmm hate the least, I think sit ups would be the thing I hate the least although I am very bad at them. After I had my spleen taken out I never really rehabilitated my ab muscles so they are a struggle. However, you do them laying down...that is a good enough reason to be better, right??
6. What's a small act of kindness you were shown that you've never forgotten?
These questions are hard as it makes me have to REMEMBER things. OK...nothing comes to mind, but one time Rich motioned a lady to turn right in front of him in a long line of cars and as she was waving frantically at him thanking him for his kindness she plowed into the car in front of her. Yeah...random acts of kindness sometimes backfire. I do love the pay it forward adage and I am sure I have been on the receiving end of some of that.
7. Have you ever been a blood donor?
I would like to say that my medication I take for thyroid disease is the reason I don't donate, but in reality it is my big aversion to needles. I am, however, on the Be the Match register. I have had bone marrow taken from my hip and at one point in my life was reminded of the importance of bone marrow.
8. In Summary: It is obvious that I am only as hip as Elf, Night at the Museum and The Lost Symbol. I am only get embarrassed because the guy in line next to me knocks over the entire display of candy. I am only interested in exercises that I associate with sleeping. I have a weakness for Cool Ranch Doritos and an aversion to needles. Yep my limitations are really well rounded.
- A Ro