Friday, May 1, 2009

EARTHQUAKE

Growing up in Iowa you get your share of natural disaster scares...


...well ok maybe just tornadoes.


And living here in LA you get your share of natural disaster scares too...


...well ok maybe just earthquakes.



I could debate and debate which natural disaster is worse...but to be honest they both suck.


Growing up in Iowa you spent a lot of time in the basement...under the pool table...in your pajamas...not sure why my only memories of taking shelter during a tornado was in my pjs...as I am sure that tornadoes happened in daylight too...hmmm. Although one time I remember we just fixed pizza and had to take it and eat it in the basement under the pool table...how exciting for a kid...


But at least you had some sort of warning...some sort of advanced notice. A tornado warning was when a tornado has been spotted in your area...the tornado watch is when conditions are ripe for tornadoes. So you see you have plenty of time for the women and children to go to the basement to seek shelter and the men to grab a beer and stand out in the yard and watch the weather...


...it is a real mystery to me why the human race didn't cease to exist with practices like this one.


However, here in California you get no warning what so ever...just BAM and your world is a shakin'. Now I have lived in California for about 7 years and I have only felt an earthquake once...don't get me wrong I am not complaining...but all the whoop-la and I have never even felt one, and the one that I felt someone had to tell me it was happening...


Today was no exception. There was a 4.4 magnitude earthquake about 16 miles away. Did I feel it??? NO!!! My son did...as GS and I were running to pick up pizza. Andrew calls me and tells me that we just had an earthquake and that I shouldn't worry cause everyone is OK and Bella didn't even feel it...well neither did I...again not that I am complaining.


When I come home my daughter informs me that I should give my son Andrew a big reward for taking care of her in a time of disaster...ok, drama queen, you didn't even feel it. She tells me that Andrew yells "EARTHQUAKE" from upstairs and they both proceed to get under the table...and I am assuming that by the time they decided to get under the table it was over.


The idea of an earthquake scares me...give me tornadoes any day...


...cause if I'm gonna die in a natural disaster let it be in the basement eating pizza...


More Later

A-Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment