But first an update:
This is what happens when schools enforces a policy that a child has to be fever free for 24 hours before they can return to school.
I'm telling you a lot of though went into this fort. In fact I would venture to say that she spent more time designing and building this fort than she actually spent in it.Granted she would have much rather been at school and on her field trip then in this fort. Today I am telling you I did whatever I could to make her happy...thankfully she didn't ask me for a new puppy because it would have been hard to say no to her today. She really wanted to go on that field trip and she really was feeling much better this morning and she knew that she was probably well enough to go on said field trip but...
I stuck to my guns and kept her home for two reasons: 1. Because of the aforementioned rule and 2. Because I certainly did not want to drive the 2 hours to go get her when she got tired of swabbing the deck and the amount of fun she was having didn't outweigh the fact that she still was a little sick. I ain't no dumb guy.
Without further ado; the Random Dozen...Turkey Style!!
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinary adventurous?
In my humble opinion Thanksgiving is not the time to be creative in the kitchen. Did the original settlers say "Hey I wonder what it taste like if we didn't have turkey, but mushed these soybeans into a loaf...hey we could call it Tofurkey"?? I didn't think so...When I was a vegan vegetarian I just didn't eat the turkey...but I still cooked the traditional dinner.
2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.")
I am thankful for my two children and my amazing GS...
OK who am I kidding...I am thankful for my new Kitchen Aid Mixer!!! Thinking about having Thanksgiving tomorrow just so I can pull that bad boy out and mix me up some mashed potatoes!!
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for.
The way I feel every time I walk into my classroom and see my students eager to get down to work, and the new beginning I am given each and every day
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
The first time I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for GS. We had just reconnected and he couldn't go home, so we invited him to join us. I was so nervous and he made me feel so at ease. He pitched and it seemed like this was the way it was supposed to be. Now it just is.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?
I send someone out to the store because I have forgotten something...it is a good year when I don't have to send someone out twice. This year GS told me that maybe today since I was home with sickly Bella I should pull out my recipes and make sure I don't need anything. I told him he would be bored if I did that...ha ha.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
nope...unless something inadvertently falls on the floor.
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?
We go around the table and tell something that we are thankful for.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?
My stuffing still comes from a box. I know a cook like me...but it is just what we do. So unless Stove Top started sneaking freeze dried oysters in their red boxes...no oysters for me.
10.Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?
You know just when you believe something about history someone goes and tells you it isn't true...so who the heck knows...Columbus didn't discover America...We really didn't land on the moon...There is no Santa Claus...life is just a never ending bubble burst for me.
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?
PUMPKIN PIE BABY!!! Two of them sitting in my fridge just itching to be covered in whipped cream and devoured...it's gonna be hard to wait.
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!)
I know I should, but I don't...
In summary: I need to stop making fun of Tofurkey, get over the newness of my Kitchen Aid mixer, have some strong words with my history teacher, maybe expand my Thanksgiving shopping list to include more that Turkey and Stove Top Stuffing, and get some PETA pamphlets, because clearly I need some animal empathy.
Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!
- A Ro