Wednesday, January 12, 2011
The Blah Beating Hodgepodge
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to mis-use, over-use or just general uselessness and they receive over 1000 nominations. Here are the fourteen words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2011-viral, epic, fail, wow factor, a-ha moment, back story, BFF, man up, refudiate, Mama Grizzlies, The American People, facebook/google when used as verbs, I'm just sayin', and Live life to the fullest.
What word or phrase would you like to see banished from our everyday vocabulary in 2011? You can choose one from the 'official list' or you can get creative and come up with your own.
Everyone around here calls each other "boss". Hey can I help you, boss. What do you want to order, boss. I am not your boss...you need to cut that out.
2. Do you consider opportunity something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?
Lets just say if you sit on your couch eating bon bons and wait for opportunity to smack you in the face you will be forever sitting on your couch eating bon bons. You need to go out and live your life. Meet people, experience life then opportunities will find you.
3. Since we're all eating healthy this month, ahem, what's included in your favorite salad? Is there dressing?
My favorite salad is this: Good dark lettuce (no iceberg for me) goat cheese, a few wasibi wontons, red onion, and Newman's Own Low Cal Soy Ginger dressing...yum.e.
4. The fourth Monday in January is said to be Blue Monday...aka the most depressing day of the year. The date was calculated using many factors including weather, debt level, time since Christmas, time since we've failed at our new year resolutions, low motivation and feeling a need to take action. Do you get the blues this time of year and if so what is something you do to lift your spirits?
I am definitely a little blue after the holidays, but I quickly become immersed in my new semester and the next project, which at the moment does include focusing on my New Years resolutions. I also live in sunny CA (which at the moment is rainy CA, but it does turn around quicker than most spots around)
5. Do you wear a watch? Any other everyday jewelry essentials?
I cannot function without a watch. The only other essential jewelry is my gorgeous engagement ring and wedding band.
6. What is something useful you learned in high school?
Everything I know about teaching high school choir. I had an amazing choral director who steal from and try to emulate daily. He showed me how to be a compassionate teacher...all the rest is icing on the cake.
7. Do you use an accountant when completing and filing your income tax returns or do you attempt to muddle through all by yourself?
I WAS a do-it-yourself tax gal until I married Rich...now with all of our crazy stuff we are going to a pro this year.
In Summary: I have NO time for Blue Monday, none at all, too busy hoping to catch that next opportunity, which soon will be getting busy channeling my high school choir director in how to inspire young minds. I am a simple jewelry gal with nothing but my keeping me on time aid, and my visual reminder of my husbands love (and good taste), and if you head on over I'll prepare you one might fine salad...just don't call me boss.
- A Ro