Friday, September 25, 2009

Fit Fare Friday - Cincinnati Turkey Chili

I know I missed a Fit Fare Friday...but I now have it all figured out. This week is a very yummy dish called Cincinnati Turkey Chili. This recipe was touted as a 40 minute meal...so I decided to put it to the test...results to follow.

I must say that GS was a little skeptical with this dish because his ex-wife made it and he really didn't like it...

Well...there were so many many things I could say to that one, and I did...however those things are not for your ears.

Any-hoo here is the cast of characters:

4 ounces uncooked spaghetti
cooking spray
8 ounces lean ground turkey
1 1/2 c. prechopped onion, divided
1 c. chopped green bell pepper
1 T. bottled minced garlic
1 T. chili powder
2 T. tomato paste
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground allspice
1/2 c. fat-free less-sodium chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used tomato sauce)
2 1/2 T. chopped semisweet chocolate (I omitted)
1/4 t. salt
3/4 cup cheddar cheese (I used red. fat cheddar cheese)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions omitting the salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add 1 cup onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute 3 minutes.
Stir in chili powder and next 5 ingredients (through allspice); cook 1 minute. Add broth, beans, and tomatoes (tomato sauce for me because chunks of tomatoes are the reason for all bad things on this earth); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.Remove from heat; stir in chocolate (I did not use chocolate...can't have caffeine and I know it is only a small amount...thank you very much Andrew, but I just didn't want to OK?!?!?!) and salt. Serve chili over spaghetti; top with remaining onion and cheese.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup spaghetti, 1 1/2 cups chili, 2 T. onion, and 3 T. cheese

Calories - 408 Fat - 13.8 g (sat 6.6g, mono.3g poly 1.7g) Protein - 24.5 g Carb - 47.4 g. Fiber - 7.9g Chol 67mg Iron - 3.7 mg Sodium - 765 mg. Calc - 237 mg

Many many lessons were learned making this chili:
  • you can live without chocolate in your Cincinnati Chili
  • you can live without chunks of tomatoes in your Cincinnati Chili
  • it only took 40 minutes to make...however this did not include chopping the veggies as the recipe called for them to already be chopped...not sure who they thought was gonna chop them...the chopping elves???
  • GS will never again say "My ex used to make that and I don't like it"
I hope you enjoy this very tasty Cincinnati Turkey Chili.



More Later

- A Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment