Monday, September 14, 2009

Fit Fare Friday - Herb and Goat Cheese Omelets

I am as stunned and surprised as you are...yes I actually followed through with my Fit Fare Friday segment. I know I know...


The first Fit Fare Friday recipe is Herb and Goat Cheese Omelet. Here is the cast of characters.

4 large eggs
1 T. water
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper, divided
1/8 t. salt
1 t. chopped fresh tarragon
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
2 t. olive oil, divided
1/2 cup thinly sliced zucchini
1/2 julienne-cut red bell pepper
dash of salt
1 t. chopped fresh chives (I forgot these....)
(This is what the cut veggies look like...realizing now that this is not a very important picture.)
  1. Combine eggs and 1 T. water in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/8 t. pepper, and 1/8 t. salt. Combine parsley (I forgot), tarragon, and goat cheese in a small bowl.
  2. Heat 1 t. olive oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1/8 t. pepper, zucchini, bell pepper, and a dash of salt to pan; cook for 4 minutes or until tender. Remove zucchini mixture from pan; cover and keep warm.
  3. Place 1/2 t. oil in skillet. Pour half of the egg mixture into pan, and let egg mixture set slightly (do not stir) Carefully loosen set edges of omelet with a spatula, tipping the pan to pour uncooked egg to the sides. Continue this procedure for about 5 seconds or until almost no runny egg remains. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture evenly over omelet; cook omelet 1 minute or until set. Slide omelet onto plate, folding into thirds. Repeat prcedure with remaining 1/2 t. oil, egg mixture, and goat cheese mixture. Sprinkle chives (I forgot) over omelets. serve with zucchini mixture. Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 omelet and 1/2 cup vegetables).
CALORIES 233; FAT 17.6 G (sat 5.8g, mono 7.8 g, poly 2g.); PROTEIN 16g; CARB 3.6g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 430 mg; IRON 2.5 mg; SODIUM 416 mg; CALC 84 mg.

OK here is what I changed. I, as you already know, left out the chives. I also folded the veggies into the omelet, and topped it with 2 T of Trader Joes' Hollendaise sauce which added 35 calories. I also toasted two pieces of whole wheat french bread. GS and I loved this "breakie for dinner" meal. My kids ate Eggs Benedict. I would have put up that recipe but it was a simple as 1. poach an egg 2. toast english muffin 3. open package of already cooked canadian bacon 3. and heat up jar of Hollendaise sauce 4. assemble. Is it crazy that BOTH of my kids eat eggs benedict??? Not like anything crazy ever happens around here.

I hope you like and try this dish. If you do let me know how you like it!!!

And I apologize for the odd pictures. Either I forgot to take the picture I wanted, or took a picture that really didn't mean anything.

More Later

- A Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment