Monday, February 16, 2009

Grandpa Mike's (Not for Chili Snobs) Chili

When I say this is not for Chili Snobs I mean that it is so easy...open cans, cut veggies, and put in crock pot...no magic sauce no magic seasoning, no magic nothing...except for the letter you see in front of the ingredients. That is a letter from my dad who we lost suddenly in 2003 to a heart attack...it has this recipe in it and it is one of the things I cherish...isn't it funny what you hold onto when you don't get to say good-bye.


Again nothing but canned stuff, 12 oz precooked chicken...I roasted a chicken yesterday, 1 3/4 cup of chopped red pepper and onion, and the magic letter.


Pour two large cans of marinara sauce and 2 cups water in the crock-pot.


Add the two packets chili seasoning.

Add the chopped onion and red peppers

Rinse the two cans of black beans.

Add the two cans of black beans to the crock pot.
Rinse the two cans of Kidney Beans, and add them to the crock-pot.

Add the 12 oz of chicken and cook on high for 4 hours.

Add 2 oz. red fat cheddar cheese, and 2 T light sour cream to finish it off.

My Dad told us in the letter to keep a bottle of Maalox near by. I just love this low fat chili recipe. It is about 230 calories per cup without the sour cream and cheese. I really love it...the veggies stay a little crunchy and it is not too hot. I don't know if I like it so much because it is from my dad...either way it is one of my favorite recipes.
Grandpa Mike's (Not for chili snobs) Chili:
2 large cans of marinara sauce
2 packets chili seasoning
2 15 oz cans black beans
2 15 oz cans kidney beans
1 3/4 cup chopped onion
1 3/4 cup chopped red peppers
12 oz cooked chicken

Check out my 25 random things entry below.
More later
- A Ro












No comments:

Post a Comment