Sunday, February 8, 2009

People Sometime Make Me Go hmmm

This past weekend my school hosted an honor choir festival. About 70 high school singers from around our area came to rehearse and perform 6 selections. They rehearse about 3 1/2 hours on Friday and 5 hours on Saturday and then the performance. Now I don't know if you know about choirs but there are four sections: Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass, and each student knows what part they are before they come to the festival. They sit in their sections for all of the rehearsals, and they even rehearse on the risers for the performance and they know where they stand on the risers...they get to practice that part. I know this sounds very redundant but I am getting somewhere so just bear with me. So ANYWAY it was just about time to line up to go sit in the audience (the band and orchestra performed first) but we needed to be in our riser order before we sat down. So I lined everyone up and we "snaked" our way into the theater so that when it was our time we would "snake" our way up on stage and onto the risers. I worked it out perfectly. The first girl in the theater to sit was the last girl on the risers and everyone else would just fall into place...well almost everyone. 80% of all the students did exactly what they were supposed to. But after the second piece the conductor realized that about 8 people were in the wrong place. Now this is the part that made me go hmmm...Did it really take those 8 people two songs to realize that they were in the wrong place?? Not only were they located on the wrong side of the risers (which they should have noticed after sitting for 8 hours in the same place...but there were people all around them singing a different part??? I really can understand the line getting all screwed up in the transfer, but it is an easy fix...you just walk to the correct place...there was a nice big hole for you because YOU WERE IN THE WRONG PLACE...Now I tell my students if something goes wrong before we start a song ie: you don't get the right pitch, you don't know which song we are singing, you are in the wrong place, I don't care what it is and I don't care if you have to yell MS. R. You sure as heck better tell me before we start the song and certainly not TWO songs into the program. It messed up those two songs...hmmmm I just might have to add another section to my blog. These types of things seem to happen to me often.Notice the large "hole" on the right side of the picture second riser.

Things I Noticed:
1. I enjoy meeting new people.

2. I really enjoyed getting my kids back safe and sound from Vegas and I am sure they grew 2 inches over the weekend. They had a really great time and all my worries were for nothing...but in my own twisted mind I figure that they only reason they didn't happen was because I worried about it.

3. I really need to work on walking Maggie. She is such a crazy walking dog, pulling here and there. I think that if I would just walk her daily she would get so much better.

4. I really like the library...I am not sure if it is leftover from my days of working in the music libraries at the colleges I attended, but they are just quiet peaceful places!!!

5. I am just going to have to live with the fact that I didn't get as much done today as planned...oh well...(sigh)

6. I have so many pictures that I want to post, but I can't find the cord to my camera...dang it.

Things I am Thankful For:
1. Safe car rides that deliver my kids to me.

2. That the library had the books that Andrew needed.

3. Having the gumption to get up and run my 4 miles.

4. A rained out Football game...don't tell Andrew.

5. My wonderful generous mom...I love her sooo much.

More later

- A Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment