Friday, October 16, 2009

Fit Fare Friday a la Goat Cheese

I love me some goat cheese. I will frequently try new things or new combination of things. I have tried and loved pineapple and cottage cheese, fake eggs, Kashi Go-Lean cereal, peanut butter and pear sandwiches...and the like. Usually when I find something new that I like I eat it ALL the time and then get sick of it and never really eat it again.

But goat cheese...it has stuck.

I love it. I put it in my salads, my eggs, my sandwiches, just everything. In fact I think that one of my Fit Fare Fridays was a goat cheese omelet.

If I were in 3rd grade and one of my friends would say to me "why don't you marry it" I might have to say OK...

Anyhoo...these two (yes I said TWO...bonus!!) recipes are two of my goat cheese favorites.

Warm Potato and Goat Cheese Salad AND Grilled Turkey Burgers with Goat Cheese Spread

Here are the cast of characters...and no I don't have a cast of characters picture...sorry geez...

For the Potato Salad:
2.5 lbs cubed red potatoes
1/4 c. white wine (I left this out)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. parsley (I left this out too)
3 oz. goat cheese
1/2 c. goats milk
(I wouldn't pay $3.00 for goats milk when I would only use 1/2 c. and throw the rest away...I like to think that I am a good citizen not to waste, however it is just me being cheap. So I used 1/4 c. Greek style yogurt and 1/4 c. regular milk)
1/4 c. lite sour cream
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 T. tarragon (didn't have any of this either)
2 T. olive oil
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove
For the Turkey Burgers:
2 t. lemon rind (didn't use)
1/2 t. salt
2 garlic cloves
1 lb ground turkey
1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach
1 lg. egg white
1/4 t. pepper
cooking spray
1/2 c. 2% Greek style yogurt
1/4 c. goat cheese
2 T. parsley
1 t. oregano
1 t. mint
whole wheat hamburger buns
lettuce leaves
red onion
Warm Goat Cheese Potato Salad:
1. Place potatoes in large sauce pan cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.


2. Combine warm potatoes wine, salt, pepper in large bowl and toss gently. Add onion parsley and goat cheese.
3. Combine remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth and add to potato mixture.

serving size 2/3 c.
calories 159; fat 6.9; protein 5.5; carb 18g; fiber 1.3 g.;cholesterol 7; sodium 180

Turkey Burgers:
1. Combine first six ingredients and 1/8 t. pepper in large bowl and mix gently.


2. Divide turkey mix into 6 equal portions shaping into 1/4 in. thick patties. Heat grill pan over med high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray, and add patties to pan, cook 8 minutes on each side.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir well.

4. Spread 1 1/2 t. yogurt mixture on bun top with lettuce, onion and patty. (and if you aren't a burger snob a few pickles...or a lot of pickles)
1 turkey burger
calories 269; fat 5.7; protein 239; carbs 33; fiber 6.2; cholesterol 28; sodium 588
I served mine with haricot verts. I just love sauteed green beans.
GS loved the meal and so did I...
...I think that I have some goat cheese tomorrow too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment