1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
Well I am of course my favorite teacher...you know you gotta love yourself before anyone el...ah never mind.
My favorite teacher was my high school choir director, Mr. Charles Clark. He inspired me to not only be a better musician, but to be a better person and in turn a great teacher. He instilled in me the love and importance of music. It is truly the power of teaching because not only did he inspire his students, but through me he is inspiring my students, and hopefully one day my students will inspire others...such a wonderful loving chain.
2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
When I graduated from college I was encouraged to apply for a job at the local middle school near my home town. I was also offered a scholarship at a school in Arizona...yes 1000 miles from Iowa (where I lived my whole life)...to attend grad school. I decided to leave the nest, knowing no one, and travel 1000 miles to attend grad school at the University of Arizona. I am convinced that one decision changed who I am for the better. I am a better woman, mother, and teacher because I believed in myself enough to take that risk...Not to mention that I met my ex-husband there and would never had my kids had I not gone there...granted the husband thing didn't work out so well...but that's another Oprah...
3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
My favorite color is purple. When I look at a rich, dark, vibrant, color of purple it makes me feel mesmerized...either that or I'm crazy...it's a toss up at this point.
4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
I can no longer sit criss cross applesauce. Thankfully my job no longer requires me to do that.
5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
YES, YES, YES Heaven's to Betsy and for the love of all humanity YES!!!
Was that too preachy??
6. What's your favorite musical?
Well since I am the vocal director for my school's high school and middle school musicals you'd think this would be easy...but truthfully the genre of musical is new to me...I was an opera singer and now am having to learn all about this genre. OK so that was my disclaimer...here's my answer...I think West Side Story is my favorite musical. The music, the story, and the message is just so powerful!!!
Was that too preachy??
7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
I am a country mouse stuck in the city...sad but true. My favorite time is visiting my parents acreage in Iowa and sitting on the porch watching fireflies. Oh Give Me a Home Where the Buffalo Roam...she sings in her purtiest twangy voice.
8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
I am afraid that I am a practical gal when it comes to gifts. Some of my favorite gifts from GS were a good cutting knife, a nice big skillet, and my new tongs...see practical. I don't even like to get flowers 'cause I think that $50 could be put towards my dream of owning a Cuisinart mixer...shiny and stainless steel with all the attachments...ahhhh...
But somethings are just ridiculous buying a STAR...who is the smart rich guy who thought of this...next someone will try to sell me some swampland in Florida...
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right?
I am not really a texter...and quite frankly I know my multi tasking limitations...so its one thing at a time for this gal...
10. "It's not a party unless _______."
I laugh so hard I snort...usually this involves both my brothers, my sister and stories from our childhood.
11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
Well I do like to people watch, but I can't let anyone KNOW that I am people watching. So I'll usually pull out my planner or phone and PRETEND to mess around but secretly I am people watching. If I am stuck in my car in traffic I sing...I sing at the top of my lungs like no body's business...I don't do that in the waiting room, however...
12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
Well my answers to this Random Dozen are coming across like I am such a diva...
...oh wait I AM such a diva...
anyhoo...I am a very kind, generous, and loving person who would sacrifice anything for anybody almost to a fault. I am a darn good friend.
In summary: dress me in purple, buy me a Cuisinart mixer, sit me on a porch in Iowa (just as long as it's not criss cross applesauce), and you'll know I am havin' a good time by my snort...but most importantly...
...be my friend.