Monday, February 8, 2010

Ah To Be A Teenager Again...NOT

C'mon you must remember what it felt like to be a teenager. You know that time of your life where you think that your heart will never stop breaking, and at the same time worried more about what your outfit of the day will be more than that looming Algebra test.



Yeah I thought you might remember those things.



Do you remember what it was like to make a mistake? An innocent juevenile mistake. Not the malicious I know-what-I-am-doing-is-wrong-but-am-deciding-to-do-it-anyway mistake...cause those kind of mistakes, I don't have a lot of patience for. The kind of mistake I am talking about is the kind of mistake that you really made accidently, but still really shakes you up. You fear what your parents are going to say, and how this is going to affect you. In fact moments after the mistake you feel like you want to dig a hole and crawl in.



I remember those feelings too.



I felt those feelings once again having looked into the face of a teenager moments after she made that kind of mistake...



moments after she...



...rear ended me on the way to school.



...in the pouring rain.



...in her new car.



Her face when we got out of our cars to assess the damage almost brought tears to my eyes. She was so sorry, and so completely frazzled.



Now to be totally honest, I don't know what it is like to get into a car accident as a teenager, because that kind of mistake was not one I made, but before you think that I am trying to sound perfect...I could literally write a book about all the rest of the mistakes I made.



I felt for her.



I really hope that my reaction and kind words helped her to at least get through her day with some ease before...





...she has to tell her parents.





More Later



- A Ro

4 comments:

  1. Well, having teenagers and college aged kids reminds me of lots of things. I try to keep those thoughts near the top of my brain so I react in a way that isn't over the top. Sorry for your accident...still a pain. My daughter had an accident last spring and the people she hit were so kind and it absolutely made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I had an accident when I was 16 - but I just ran into a reflector post on the highway. I got the car back on the road & went on to the orthodontist - and THEN surveyed the damage when I got home. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that first call I had to make to my parents when I had my first accident.

    It was ugly all the way around.

    I know she appreciates your graciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust me, your kind words and everything totally helps. almost two years ago now, i was that girl who rearended someone and luckily i rearended the NICEST PERSON EVER. so thank you for her sake and for mine, because i know exactly how she felt. i think i burst into tears 6 times at school that day. you probably remember hah.

    ReplyDelete